Monday, September 28, 2009

Two farmers and a mountain climber walk into a bar...

Wayne and Connie Whitmore have been farming in Coyle for more than 20 years. Connie teaches kindergarten at Coyle Elementary School while Wayne works at OSU in the Plant and Soil Sciences department.

They say that farming is just a hobby. Their children, Justin and Cara, used to help them, but Justin is in Iraq working for the USDA, and Cara is getting married soon.

They grow tomatoes, squash, cantaloupe, eggplant and a bunch of other stuff. Currently, they're participating in Oklahoma's Farm to School program. In the photos below, they're standing in front of their okra field and then their pepper plants.

I played around with some flashes for this assignment. I brought someone with me so I could have an off-camera flash used in a variety of places. I shot these between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.







###

This is Chase Lindell. He climbs mountains.
His current goal is to climb all the "14ers" in Colorado — in the next year. The term "14er" refers to a mountain peak that is more than 14,000 feet. There are 51 mountains that fit this category.





These didn't turn out quite the way I wanted. I had originally planned to get in climbing gear, but that didn't work out. Maybe next time...

6 comments:

  1. Jaclyn- I really like the second photo of Wayne and Connie. Were you standing on something to get an overhead shot? Also, I wonder if anyone has ever told Wayne he resembles George Strait :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The portraits really capture how much they care about their farm and how proud they are of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the angle you shot at in the second and third photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :-) I was standing on a five-gallon bucket nearby lol.

    And I will let Wayne know he looks like George haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work here Jaclyn. Really great work getting out there and finding some folks with good stories and translating that into good photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos of the Whitmores are really cool! I love the colors and light in them. Very nice that you've got them posed in their element, and I agree with the angle--very nice.

    ReplyDelete