Sunday, December 6, 2009

Portraits of Shoes

You can tell alot about a person based on what shoes they wear. Much like looking at the expression on a person's face, calice's on their hands or the clothes they wear you can tell things like what kind of work they do, the kind of fashion they like and the types of activites they are involved in. In my photo assignment I was trying to capture different types of shoes in an environment where they would fit (kind of like when you think of a location or scenario and ask yourself "what kind of shoes should I bring/wear?". Some of my pictures are more traditional and obvious for everyday life but I wanted to get a little more creative and throw a couple pairs of shoes in that aren't necessarily thought of in everyday life, like bowling shoes, toe shoes and, the increasingly popular, dog shoes.

All of my pictures are pretty much self-explanitory and are connected by content, but I also wanted to have them similar in a few other ways. All the pictures are a bit wider (not the typical size and also not a perfect square) or longer (for the pictures that were shot vertically) than typical pictures but the emphasis and core focus of each picture is the shoe itself. I also wanted to get bright and interesting colors in the picture as much as possible, as well as keeping the traditional compositions for pictures in mind.















3 comments:

  1. I love the ties of the shoe and the environment! Like the Ugg boots and the rug and fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color in your pictures. It's warm and vibrant. Fantastic job! I love, love your essay!

    ReplyDelete