Monday, December 7, 2009

My Oklahoma Roots

Even though I was born and raised a Texas girl, my roots began in Oklahoma. I have lived in a suburb of Houston, TX all of my life and am used to the big, urban atmosphere. Ever since I was born we have traveled back to the tiny town of Mulhall, OK, where my mom was born. It is always great being there with family and seeing the large legacy that has been left behind.
This picture was taken on the county road on the way to my grandma’s house. I was driving and saw this boot on the barbed wire fence. I love this picture because I feel like it captures the cute, country vibe of the town.
This is my Grandma, Peggy Yost. She was born in Mulhall in 1935. She is currently the oldest living person on this side of the family. She graduated from Oklahoma A&M with a degree in Home Economics and then received her Masters in Elementary Education. She taught school in Mulhall for years and eventually became principal. She is a very strong, driven woman and is a huge inspiration to this family.

Almost all of my family has attended OSU. Right now we have three generations of Cowboys fans.


This is my Dad, Bob Dow. He was born and raised in Tulsa, OK. He and my mom met at OSU and ever since then he has also come to love the small town atmosphere. He was raised a city boy, but is a huge hunter and loves the outdoors. This picture captures his fun, carefree personality.

This is my mom, Lori Dow. She was born and raised a small town girl in Mulhall. I love this picture because this it shows from her expression that even though she hasn’t lived in this town since she graduated from OSU and has moved to the big city, she is still proud of where she came from.


This is my twin sister, Lizzie Dow. She goes to Texas Christian University in Ft. Worth, TX. She also loves coming to Oklahoma, not only to visit me at OSU, but to see family. I think that this picture captures the thought of "the long road ahead" of her at our age. The road behind her goes on a long way; which I think represents a long life to grow and one day carry on the legacy of our family.

One of the great things about going to Mulhall is all of the great places to take pictures. I have realized that I love taking pictures that have the rustic kind of look. This was taken at a little old chicken coop on my grandma’s land.



Like I said before, my dad loves to hunt. When we come to visit we go hunting with him and everyone has their chance to do lots of fun outdoor activities.




In our family, everyone is close. We have a very tight nit family and have great tradition that I can't wait to keep going with my cousins.


My mom and sister looking out into the pretty Oklahoma sunsets.





This is the youngest member of the family. This is one of my cousins that will soon come to enjoy the great tradition of this family.

1 comment: