Monday, December 7, 2009

______ Faith

My photo essay was about capturing faith and how it is intertwined into individual's lives and lifestyles. I visited churches, but for the most part I tried to capture the essence of faith to an individual. I spent some time with a few of my friends while they either spent time reading their Bible, praying or however they choose to spend time with God. Faith was challenging for me to capture just because I was intimidated and to be honest I was scared to interupt any kind of intimate moment with God. But when I finally got with the program, I was able to let the lens find its frame. My intent for composition was to fill the frame and in most pictures I did, but I also let the picture give the details.


Tithing is a symbol of obedience and faith.

I chose this picture to include in my essay because the composition rich in repetition with the pews and the stain glass windows create a dramatic background effect.

Praying hands. My friends were praying before one of our important meetings and I really like the symbolism in holding hands to be closer to each other and in the presence of God.


My friend Natalie was journaling while reading the Bible. This picture obviously fills the frame and creates selective focus on the edge of the page.







This picture captures faith because the reminder to strive to be Christlike is a constant reminder in when Whitney gets ready every day. She can think of how she has already advanced the kingdom and how to do it once again.

This cross was in my friend's home and I really loved its color. Crosses are the most popular symbol of religion for most people. When someone sees a cross, they know what it stands for. Having a cross in a home is a sign of faith to those who come to visit, but aslo a reminder to you to live for Christ.

Whitney was watching Lifechurch.TV, which is a nontraditional form of church. Instead of going to a building, she spent time worshiping and glorifying God at home but still had a sermon to listen to.

A mom and daughter admire a Christmas scene at Lifechurch. I really loved the way they were both just standing there together in complete awe.


You might have seen this cross while driving down I-35. It's an amazing sight, especially at night. Like I mentioned earlier, crosses are the most popular symbol of faith.


These children are involved with AWANAS at Eagle Heights Baptist Church. The little girl is getting a badge for memorizing a verse. This program instills faith into the children at a young age and teaches the importance of scripture memory.


This family was praying together at mass. I loved the unity between them.


This gentleman was kneeling before he entered his pew during mass. Mass is very traditional and entails a lot of symbolism, such as the kneeling.




This woman was praying during mass. Complete dedication.



Becca spends time in God' word daily and she was gracious enough to let me capture how she does this.


This is the band at Eagle Heights. Worshiping is an important aspect of faith.

2 comments:

  1. I like the praying hands and really love the family praying at mass. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely wonderful. this is such a hard theme to capture and you did it beautifully. i love the one with the girl's bible and hands.

    ReplyDelete