Monday, February 8, 2010

Hayley Wood: The 11th VII Photographer

For this assignment, I chose to emulate the style of Stephanie Sinclair, specifically her work on the young women of the Polygamist community. It's obvious in each frame that Sinclair was given "rare and intimate access" to these young women. What I first noticed about her style is that her subjects seemed to be going about a normal day as if Sinclair was not there at all. Her pictures reflect very normal scenarios but with an attention to detail and a deeper meaning behind it all because these women were in the midst of one of the biggest stories of the decade.

On Saturday morning I paid a visit to the Senior Activity Center in Stillwater to snap a few pictures during a womens' pool game. The experience was more enjoyable than I expected and I even made a few new friends. During my time there I tried to capture the simplicity of the game but also each of their stories. I wanted it to seem as if I wasn't there at all and they actually did make me feel that way when they focused on their game but in between would stop to chat with me. They were very natural in front of the camera.

One of the players, Sue, takes her shot with fellow players, Linda and Patricia, behind her. I liked this shot because you can see the concentration on Sue's face but also the smiles of the other two players sharing a laugh. Sue was one of the many who brought her own cue (a pool stick for those that didn't know like me).

Patricia racks em up as they began another game. I liked this shot because of its simplicity but also the contrast of her wrinkled hands against the smooth table. Patricia told me she's lived in Stillwater since 1945 when "Stillwater was only three blocks long." She told me pool is a great exercise because it "exercises all the senses." In addition to walking all around the table and bending over, you must also use your mind to conquer the game, she explained.

This shot includes the whole group having a moment of conversation in the middle of a game. From left to right is Sue, Elaine, Patricia, Ellie and Linda. They wanted me to come back and take pictures at the pool tournament they're hosting, Feb. 19.

I know I only needed three and this one is obviously posed but they suggested getting a group photo and I thought it was really sweet.

1 comment: