Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Tulsa Ballet: An Expression of Movement

This is an artistic demonstration of masculine strength. Alfonso Martin (in the shorts) has been known for many years as the Tulsa Ballet's heart throb. Alfonso and Claudio demonstrate their leaping abilities across the floor.
I posted this picture purely for her expression. Her expression is one of dedication and poise. I also love the way she is centered with other company member preparing to take their turns crossing the floor.
Hanae Seki has the most beautiful and natural extension I have ever seen. Not to showcase her talents would have left this project incomplete. She is suspended midair performing a grand jete leap, where her legs do more than show a straight line. Her leap is perfect, because she exceeds a "perfectly" straight line.
This photograph was taken after barre warm up and the Tulsa Ballet Company dancers began working across the floor. This photograph stood out to me because of the way the morning light shadows each individual dancer and the lines of their bodies.
The way this group of feet lines up and moves across the floor exemplifies leading lines. This picture really brings out the work put into each movement in not just ballet flats but also the pointe shoes.
This picture was taken during one of the Nutcracker rehearsals, as they were practicing for the party scene, and showcases some of the contours of a dancers body. These professionals are made of complete muscle.


This is Frederica Bagnera lacing up her pointe shoes after barre warm up. She is incredibly petite but posses amazing control of her movements. I fell in love with the picture because it gives a close up look of a ritual where a female dancer finds not only pain, but satisfaction, and strength.
This is Claudio Cocino, a demi-soloist dancer. He was one of my favorite dancers to photograph. The expression on his face is one of peace and pride. A look all too familiar to dancers that find a spot where there body lines up with the art form itself.
This photograph was taken during a Nutcracker rehearsal and shows almost the entire company at work. The point that catches my eye is the dancers pointe shoes on the end, because although pointe shoes are made of wood, fiber glass, and satin, they are incredibly hard to control.
When I was dancing, across the floor work was my favorite. This picture demonstrates that ballet can make you feel as though you are flying. Jumping off the floor into a sissone, which in French means scissor, is a true demonstration of the movement and strength a dancer can exude.
I choose this photograph because of the contours of her body. This is Ashley Blade-Martin, a soloist for the Tulsa Ballet. The muscles shown in her back demonstrate how finely tuned and how fit these dancers have to be.
This is my favorite photograph, and will soon be hanging in my bedroom. I love this picture because I love seeing the lines in her foot, the closing action of her back foot, and the up-close vision of the pointe shoe. Pointe shoes in the world of ballet are a rite of passage, that every little girl can't wait to grasp. They are a symbol of pride and joy, but also come with the price of pain and ugliness.


This photograph shows off movement and lines. I was able to capture this moment before they began their partner work for another section of the Nutcracker party scene.
Susan Frei is the Ballet Mistress for the Tulsa Ballet Company, and a legend throughout the art community. She commands the class with grace, a sense of humor, and an iron fist. The company seems to love and admire her. This photograph gives a sense of her instruction, incredible/cohesive leg lines, and barre work.
The focal point of this photograph pin points two party guests in the Nutcracker surrounded by other guests. I had multiple photos like this, but the blurred movement makes the picture. This picture, I believe, makes you feel as though you are in the scene.
Elise Miller is the picture of beautiful lines with a poised expression, that exudes she loves and is good at her craft. Although she is the focal point, I love the expressions on the faces around her.
To end my final photo essay, I will leave you with an example of what happens to a female dancers feet after meeting her first pair of pointe shoes. As I stated earlier, pointe shoes are an object of pride and admiration. The pain and harsh reality is that for a professional dancer, your feet may never completely heal, even after years of swearing off toe boxes made of wood, fiber glass, and satin.

I was lucky enough to have the experience of photographing real artists. For as long as I can remember, I have had a passion for ballet. The way that these skilled dancers can shape and move their bodies is truly mind boggling. In my final photography essay I wanted to showcase the work and some of the insight that viewers don't see when just attending a performance. The compiled photographs include pictures taken during 9 a.m. classes and then a real nutcracker rehearsal. Each time I went back to photograph, I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. I have grown up idolizing some of the individuals photographed and for me, this was an assignment of a lifetime.
I wanted to highlight contours of the body, actual movement, expression, pain, and joy. I decided to make my pictures black and white because I wanted the viewer to really be able to concentrate on the shapes, lines, and figures.

2 comments:

  1. Great work! I really love the shot of Claudio and the close up of the pointe shoe.
    I can really see the passion you have for ballet coming through in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. Photos 4 and 5 were my favorites. Especially 4. Good silhouette.

    ReplyDelete