Monday, December 13, 2010

Equestrian

I've been around horses for longer than I have been able to walk. So when the chance came to do a photo essay on something I love and wouldn't mind photographing for a month, it made complete sense to show everyone else the world I am surrounded around.

Competitive horse showing has been apart of my life for 16 years, now. In fact, it become such a large part of my life I quit high school started home schooling to train toward becoming a nationally ranked rider. This assignment allowed me to photograph what I love the most, and help show everyone what it is that I love about it.

I took photographs at two different horse shows, the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) World Championships, and the National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Futurity. The AQHA World Championships is a prestigious event that requires a horse and rider to qualify in order to attend. This show is considered the Super Bowl of AQHA events. The NRHA Futurity is a show where reining exhibitors compete on 3-year-old horses for winnings up to $125,000.



Professional trainer Whitney Lagace winning the AQHA World Championship in Jr. Trail.


The awards line up at the AQHA World Championships.


An AQHA World Championship ribbon.


A horse and rider preparing for the NRHA futurity finals.


One of the many vendors at the show selling tack and equipment.


A pair of spurs hanging on the fence after being used.


I was trying to take advantage of the sunset, and the way it was shinning into the covered arena.


The prize saddle and neck ribbon that the winner of the Level 4 Open Division NRHA Futurity class wins, along with $125,000.


Another horse prepping for the finals.


A young rider carrying in the flag during the opening ceremonies.


Headed into the ring for the Celebrity Slide.


William Shatner (yes, Captain Kirk himself) preparing to compete in the Celebrity Slide at the NRHA futurity.


Cowboy chaps are always one of the most recognizable parts of horse showing.


A horse and rider settling after doing a sliding stop.


A vendor selling cowboy boots.


Riders practice into the evening to prep for the competition.


No comments:

Post a Comment