Monday, November 16, 2009

Imitations

I imitated the photos of Allison V. Smith.. Her pictures are content-wise very simple. She likes to focus on one specific item, usually something that is commonplace or some kind of signage, with a solid, clean background. Her photos do not allow for many distractions from the subject of the picture.


This sign was on an old building I found in downtown Stillwater. Allison V. Smith has similar photos on her site of simple signs on old buildings. The backdrop is clean and solid-- it's just the wood of the building, making the plain white sign pop.




This mailbox reminds me of an Allison V. Smith photo because it is simple, rustic, and it lies against a solid white backdrop.


This mailbox recreates the way Allison V. Smith takes everyday objects that don't seem special and makes them special by making them the clear subject of a photo. I like the contrast in color as well- something Allison also does well.

I really liked this sign at Aspen Coffee. Allison V. Smith takes lots of pictures of signs with words on them and occasionally tries to make them mean something. I think taking this photo close-up emphasizes the image and the words and makes the message more meaningful, even though you can't see the entire sign.

1 comment:

  1. I love the last photo...quote from Ferris Bueller's Day off!

    ReplyDelete