Monday, October 26, 2009

Jessica Campbell - Orangecoming

My photo essay is titled Orangecoming because Homecoming brings orange out in all aspects. Things that are usually not orange become orange, like the fountain, faces, buses and orange is just everywhere!
These lights were at Bennett Hall and I just thought they were really pretty in the dark. They made it in the essay because it brings out orange of course. I like the selective focus on the lights in the front and the blurred lights in the background.
These cups were strung around a booth at walk around and I liked the lights in the cup. I wanted to fill the frame with orange and the orange cup does that.

I was walking behind these people at walkaround and thought it was cool how the "Go Pokes" shirt was in the middle and the solid orange on the outside. They were enjoying the decs and sporting their orange.


I found this bus in a parking lot across the street from the Colvin and it really stood out. This is an example of something that is not usually orange but is for the love of OSU. I loved the flags in the picture, too. What is more important that our country and O State?



Here are some spirited soles! This proud owner was showing his orange while walking around the stadium before the game. It is relatable to the rule of thirds because the boots aren't dead center and are in the upper line.




Outside of the stadium, a booth was having a dancing contest for a free shirt and some othe prizes. It took a couple of shots until I caught the happy emotion showing on the contestants faces, but I finally got it. They are synchronized as well!


These kids were great! I asked their mom if I could take pictures of their orange and all them were great sports! They told me about how they got their faces painted and that the artist used stencils and how cold the paint was. The orange really fills the frame here because they are literally orange from head to toe!

This orange isn't the exact shade or most OSU oranges, but it's a beautiful part of fall and was fitting for the week of homecoming. I used the rule of thirds and backlighting. I simply placed the leaf in front of the sun, which made for great detail in the leaf.

This was a hallway in Engineering North. It was a little hard to get used to the orange lighting all week. Here is another example of things not usually orange. I centered the letters, but it makes for good symmetry.

Oh pomping! I like the framing from the pomp around the girls. They are hard at work on one side, and you can see the beautiful result on the other side!

It's almost required for Theta pond to be surrounded by orange. There are so many levels here with the water, the rock, the grass and the bridge in the background. The orange lights create a leading line around up the sidewalk to the bridge and around the pond.

Once again an orange creation in honor of our great univesity. These kids were fun to take pictures of because they were so into the orange. I like that they are kind of lined down the stone. I didn't even have to place them!

2 comments:

  1. Great theme and some really stellar photos here. Way to think conceptually! Remember to keep those facebook photos on facebook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used Eskimo Joe's cups and I really loved your first picture and the picture of the old people walking away.

    ReplyDelete