Monday, March 1, 2010

Assignment 5 - Frontier Lanes


I felt that even though it's a bit cliché, the sign tells a lot about the place. It has a more retro feel to it and the alley itself is more of an "old-school" kind of style as opposed to the more modern alleys that are adjacent to bars where I'm from.


I'm not very fond of this shot because I couldn't get everything straight and even, but I wanted a shot to compliment the sign, very basic to show the style of the place even without anyone in the shot. I love the colors and the reflections on the wood, but I'm very bothered by the unlevel ceiling and floor, which might have been from me using the tripod for the first time.


Saturday night, a fraternity came to bowl and I caught the interaction between a couple of the brothers. Unfortunately it came out really grainy, but I couldn't pass up the great expressions going on between them.


This is another fraternity brother. I liked that I caught him mid-swing without too much motion blur, thanks to the tripod.


This was a shot Shane told me to go back and look for. I caught a bowler after winning a game against her friends taking off her shoes. I used the floor to stabilize my camera and reduce any blur and took quite a few shots. I really like that you can read Frontier Lanes on the shoe, which I wasn't anticipating to come out.


Saturday nights are extremely busy and I wanted to show the number of people there. It was difficult to get this kind of shot because there was a lot more people behind me waiting to play, but trying to include everyone just didn't look very good.


Because of the lighting and constant motion, it was difficult to get a non-blurry shot, but I felt the motion involved in picking up the bowling ball allowed for some blur.


As I mentioned before, the motion involved, I think, allows for some blur and I didn't find this so overbearing and I was aiming for another shot of actual bowling.


The assistant manager and an employee chat as it gets closer to closing time. They were a little nervous around the camera, so I didn't take very many shots of them but I liked how this one came out.


This was Sunday night. Literally the last frame of the day. I was hoping to incorporate the emptiness of the alley as well as the motion of the bowler.



I had a lot of trouble with this assignment on little things that I was having problems working out. It seemed that no matter where I stood, there was something in the way (the monitors, the ball returns, the chairs) of the shot. Plus, the lighting in the building combined with the constant movement of people made it hard for me to choose pictures and a bit overwhelming on what to take pictures of. All things I just need to practice on and I'd like to hear advice that anyone has on getting past these things.

1 comment:

  1. Patience! It took a long time and lots of shots to get what I wanted. Keep at it and play with your settings.

    ReplyDelete