Sunday, January 31, 2010

zachgray - Techniques [wk 2]

I found this scene after walking for 30 minutes to the cross country fields, my pace hindered by the shin-high snow. This shot is arguably not too photojournalistic, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The tall, ice-encrusted grass held the beautiful golden light of the setting sun against a soft blue sky with a tree bare from winter in center.
This was found by chance. This group of guys passed by on the street and as they rested at a stop sign, I caught up to them and jumped in their truck bed after introducing myself. I hung my camera below the tailgate and waited for them to show some emotion.
Here, I was out looking for winter features and had the idea to follow the guys that have to endure it all - postal workers. This was Thursday when the snow was supposed to hit hard, but instead it was freezing rain, which is far more painful that fluffy flakes. On this one, I ran ahead and set up a high-angle shot as he dropped mail in someone's box.
For this, I was focusing on trying to catch a candid moment. There were probably twenty ducks and geese being fed by a handful of people, but only this one was aggressive enough to seek his own dinner.
This is something I saw on the way back from shooting a women's basketball game. The sky was a beautiful, albeit strange, blue and I noticed this classroom on the side of Morrill hall completely empty other than the one student at the back. I thought it was interesting and as former New York Times photographer George Tames said, "If you see a picture, you should take it – period."

2 comments:

  1. These are some stellar moments. The guys riding behind the truck are priceless.

    My favorite is the lighting in the cross country field. It just looks like you walked to it at the perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach- you are very talented at what you do! I LOVE all these pictures, great work!

    ReplyDelete